Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fairhope in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fairhope Museum of History

 
 
Fairhope Museum of History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, January 17, 2019
1. Fairhope Museum of History Marker
Inscription.  Dedicated 2008
A gift to the people of Fairhope from
The Fairhope Single Tax Corporation
& the City of Fairhope

Dedicated April 5, 2008
The Front Section of this structure was carefully restored to reflect its original use as Fairhope's first City Hall, built by Forester & Sons in 1928. This complex contained the police department, which had two jail cells and a small office occupied by one policeman. The adjacent office housed the City Clerk, while the meeting room served as the City Council Chambers. The large bay on the north side contained the fire engine, manned, then as now, by dedicated volunteers.

This restoration and addition are a joint project of the Fairhope Single Tax Corporation and the City of Fairhope, completed to celebrate the City's centennial, 1908-2009. Renovation and new construction were done by Thomas Construction and engineered by Cowles, Murphy, Glover & Associates.
The architect was Ben Commings

Fairhope Single Tax Corporation
President
Lawrence (Larry) Thomas
Vice President
Dean Mosher
Treasurer
C. Michale Arnold
secretary

Fairhope Museum of History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, January 17, 2019
2. Fairhope Museum of History Marker
Marsha Rowe Foster
Directors
C.O. (Mac) McCawley
Cliff Pitman
Carol Saltz
Leslie Stejskal
Edward Lawrence
Trustees
Andrew S. Midkiff
Leigh S. Rogers
Ralph Brown Jennings

City of Fairhope
Centennial
1908-2008
Alabama
Mayor
Timothy M. Kant

Council President
Roger C. Gentle

Council Members
Ceil Christenberry
Michael A. Ford
Debbie W. Quinn
Daniel R. Stankoski

Museum Director
Donald H. Barrett

 
Location. 30° 31.425′ N, 87° 54.164′ W. Marker is in Fairhope, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of 24 N Section Street and Fairhope Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 24 N Section Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairhope AL 36532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Craig Turner Sheldon (here, next to this marker); Land, Capital, Labor (approx. half a mile away); Tears of Sorrow (approx. half a mile away); Marietta Johnson (approx. half a mile away); Welcome to the Fairhope Pier (approx. 0.7 miles away); City of Daphne (approx. 5 miles away); Little Bethel Baptist Church:

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 5.6 miles away); Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest / The Founding Fathers of the Italian Colony (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairhope.
 
Categories. ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkLaw Enforcement
 

More. Search the internet for Fairhope Museum of History.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2019, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 144 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2019, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement