Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Moores engaged in stock raising and farming and reared five children here. In 1866 Elizabeth Moore, by then widowed, sold this homestead tract to John Hancock, a prominent local judicial and political figure. Although Hancock never lived on the farm, it is believed that his former slave, Orange, and his family lived here in the late 1860s. Hancock's nephews, William and James, lived and worked on the farm at different times during the 1870s and 1880s. Franz Fiset purchased the farm in 1899. The structures were significantly altered by several subsequent owners before falling into disrepair by the mid-1980s. Major
Erected 1992 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15032.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 19.264′ N, 97° 44.506′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Sinclair Ave, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4811 Sinclair Ave, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Austin Memorial Park Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Petrified Forest Lodge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Austin State Hospital (approx. one mile away); The Radkey House (approx. one mile away); Austin State Hospital Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Seiders Oaks (approx. 1.1 miles away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wells-LaRue House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Texas Beyond History article. Texas Beyond History article about slavery and John Hancock's land holdings including discussion of the archeology done at this site; provides additional (Submitted on November 29, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 3,199 times since then and 210 times this year. Last updated on November 29, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.