Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Clarendon News

 
 
The Clarendon News Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
1. The Clarendon News Marker
Inscription.  The town of Clarendon began with an effort led by the Rev. Lewis H. Carhart as he strived to create a colony based on Christianity, temperance and education. To promote the settlement, he created The Clarendon News, publishing the first issue in June 1878, the same year the first colonists arrived. The News was the first newspaper in the Panhandle. Since its first printing, it has changed owners and names many times but has always provided local news coverage and community interest pieces. As the community grew, printing methods changed from handset type to 21st-century computer innovations. The newspaper's long, continuous run is a tribute to Carhart and the many pioneer journalists who followed him.
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12977.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1878.
 
Location. 34° 56.326′ N, 100° 53.258′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is on South Kearney Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 South Kearney Street, Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Funeral Business in Clarendon (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stockton P. Donley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donley County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of St. John Baptist (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church of Clarendon (approx. 0.3 miles away); S. W. Lowe House (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Donley County (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
 
Additional keywords. The Clarendon News
 
The Clarendon News Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
2. The Clarendon News Marker
The Clarendon News Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
3. The Clarendon News Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=100419

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024