Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Clarendon

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Clarendon Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
1. First United Methodist Church of Clarendon Marker
Inscription.  When the Rev. Lewis H. Carhart, a Methodist minister, founded Clarendon, he envisioned it as a religious and educational center. The town was established in 1878 near the junction of Carroll Creek and the Salt Fork of the Red River, six miles north of its present location. Local cowboys nicknamed the settlement "Saint's Roost" because it had no saloons. The first building erected was a combination church and school. Until the turn-of-the-century, there was a Northern Methodist Church in the community.

When the railroad arrived in 1887, Clarendon moved to its present site. The Rev. James T. Hosmer, a circuit rider, conducted Methodist services in private homes. In 1888 the Rev. Isaac L. Mills and 15 charter members organized the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1890 the fellowship erected a frame church building on the southeast corner of Kearney and 4th Street. Membership increased significantly after the founding in 1898 of Clarendon Methodist College, forerunner of Clarendon Junior College.

To accommodate the growing congregation, this large classical revival structure was built in 1910, during the pastorate of the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Rev. O. P. Kiker. The original roof was replaced in 1950.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1884.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the United Methodist Church Historic Sites series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location. 34° 56.188′ N, 100° 53.514′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is on South Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 South Jefferson Street, Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Donley County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of St. John Baptist (about 700 feet away); Stockton P. Donley (about 700 feet away); S. W. Lowe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Funeral Business in Clarendon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Clarendon News (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donley County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
 
First United Methodist Church of Clarendon Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
2. First United Methodist Church of Clarendon Marker
First United Methodist Church of Clarendon image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
3. First United Methodist Church of Clarendon
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=100426

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024