Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church
Dating from ca 1540, the facade of this medieval house, which was owned by a canon of the now-vanished church of St. Salvator Oudmunster (whose circumference is outlined in the pavement of the Cathedral Square), provides a beautiful example of early Renaissance architecture with sculpture and wall anchors. The masonry is painted in the traditional manner in red with white detailing. The richly-ornamented gable was demolished in the 19th century.
Erected by The ANWB.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 52° 5.4′ N, 5° 7.324′ E. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Utrecht 3511, Netherlands. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University (within shouting distance of this marker); Het Runensteen van Jelling Afgietsel / The Jelling Runestone Replica (within shouting distance of this marker); In Het Voetspuur Van Sint Maarten / In the Footsteps of Saint Martin (within shouting distance of this marker); Verzetsmonument Utrecht / Utrecht Resistance Monument (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Utrechtse Sodomieprocessen / Utrecht Sodomy Trials (about 90 meters away); Paleis Lofen (about 90 meters away); Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal (about 120 meters away); a different marker also named Paleis Lofen (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Utrecht.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 214 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.