St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
By the year 1870, a widowed Clarissa Fairbanks Anderson had built on her property, known as “Markland,” a gable-roofed, frame “winter cottage” for guests.
In 1885, her son, Dr. Andrew Anderson, Jr., sold part of the property to his new friend Henry Flager. Mr. Flager had Anderson Cottage moved from King Street to its present location to permit construction of the Hotel Ponce de Leon.
Forty years later, architect Fred Henderich modified the building into its Mediterranean Revival form.
Dr. Robert Ellert and Dr. JoAnn Crisp-Ellert generously gifted this property to Flager College in 2006 to ensure its preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 29° 53.564′ N, 81° 18.972′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker can be reached from Sevilla Street south of Valencia Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is not clearly visible from the road. Marker is permanently mounted on the cottage south wall, near the main Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 Sevilla Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Model Land Company National Register Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); Markland (about 400 feet away); Villa Zorayda (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Villa Zorayda (about 500 feet away); The Villa Zorayda Today (about 500 feet away); Ponce de Leon Hotel (about 500 feet away); Henry M. Flagler (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . .
1. Dr. Andrew Anderson II.
Dr. Andrew Anderson II was a physician, philanthropist, mayor and benefactor of St. Augustine, Florida.
In 1885, Anderson sold his land east of Markland and that of his two half-sisters to Henry Flagler for the construction of two hotels: the Ponce de León Hotel and the Alcazar Hotel. (Submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Clarissa Cochran Fairbanks Anderson.
She married Dr. Andrew Anderson, Sr. March 27, 1838 in St. Augustine, Florida as his second wife. Her husband died November 7, 1939 in St. Augustine, Florida.
During the 1840s and 1850s she rented the rooms in Markland Hall to guests to supplement her income. She was a practical Yankee lady who (Submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on March 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.