William C. Goodridge, Entrepreneur
Born a slave in 1806, William C. Goodridge was freed in 1822, when he began his long, successful career as a businessman. His first enterprise was a barber shop, located on York's Centre Square. Next, he opened a five-story retail store on the Square, one of the tallest buildings in York at the time.
Goodridge also operated a rail line, which may have provided transport to slaves seeking freedom via the Underground Railroad. His sons followed Goodridge's lead and, with his help, established the most significant African-American photographic establishments in America.
Artist: Don Gray and son Jared Gray
Erected 1999 by York Murals, Henry and Doris Leader, John D. and Kathryn W. Zimmerman Fund of York Foundation, The Herbert Rehmeyer Trust, and Wilton Armetale.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1806.
Location. 39° 57.579′ N, 76° 44.179′ W.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reformed Theological Seminary Site (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Allen Baer House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jake Devers (about 600 feet away); General Jacob L. Devers (about 600 feet away); World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away); Phineas Davis (about 700 feet away); 455 West Market Street (about 800 feet away); The Harley-Davidson Tradition (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. William Goodridge, Businessman, Abolitionist. (Submitted on December 27, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. William Goodridge. (Submitted on December 27, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. William C. Goodridge. (Submitted on December 27, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.