Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cleburne’s Division – Hill's Corps.
Brig. Gen. S. A. M. Wood.
— Sept. 19, 1863, 6.30 P. M. 2D Position. —
33d Alabama - Col. Samuel Adams.
45th Alabama - Col. E. B. Breedlove.
18th Alabama Battalion - Maj. John H. Gibson.
32D and 45th Mississippi - Col. M. P. Lowrey.
15th Mississippi Battalion Sharpshooters - Maj. A.T. Hawkins.
Semple’s (Alabama) Battery - Lieut. R. W. Goldthwaite.
Wood’s brigade, advancing for the night attack, passed over troops of Generals Cheatham and Walker’s commands to the rear of this position and came into action on this ground. The enemy, being Baldwin’s Brigade of Johnson’s Division, was posted on the opposite edge of the field, behind breastworks of rails and logs, from which they were forced to retire. The fighting was severe and Wood’s troops reached the Union lines and a hand to hand conflict went on for some time in the darkness. Col. Baldwin commanding the Union brigade was killed. At the end of an hour the Union forces withdrew.
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-1232.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calvert's Arkansas Battery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Semple's Alabama Battery (about 400 feet away); 38th Indiana Infantry (about 600 feet away); Howell's Georgia Battery (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Howell's Georgia Battery (about 700 feet away); 1st Ohio Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); 93rd Ohio Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Philemon P. Baldwin Memorial Shell Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. This marker is red indicating Wood's Brigade was a Confederate Unit. NO. 37-B is located in the upper left hand corner of the marker and the letter C (Confederate) is in the right hand corner.
Also see . . . Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park. National Park Service (Submitted on February 1, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 263 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.