Carlsbad in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Carlsbad by the Sea Retirement Community
In 1881, Captain John A. Frazier, a homesteader, purchased 127 acres of oceanfront land for $1200. While drilling for drinking water in 1884, Frazier tapped into an underground mineral spring. He built a 510 foot well tower and began promoting the water's healing properties to passing travelers on the Southern California Railroad. The site became known as "Frazier's Station". In 1886 Gerhard Schutter and Samuel Church Smith purchased the land and renamed it "Carlsbad" with the intention of building a health resort. In 1929, after the paving of nearby Highway 101, construction began on the Spanish-Revival style "California-Carlsbad Mineral Springs Hotel" on this site. By 1939, the spa functions has ceased and the hotel changed owners several times. In 1957, Lutheran Services of San Diego purchased and re-opened the hotel as a retirement community. California Lutheran Homes acquired the community in 1964. The original building was demolished in 1996 to complete an expansion and modernization of the retirement community. The front facade has been reconstructed by the California Lutheran Homes and Community Services as a replica of the original
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Time Capsules series list.
Location. 33° 9.564′ N, 117° 21.127′ W. Marker is in Carlsbad, California, in San Diego County. Marker is at the intersection of Carlsbad Boulevard and Grand Avenue on Carlsbad Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2899 Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad CA 92008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capt. John A. Frazier (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Michael's By-the-Sea Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Twin Inns (about 400 feet away); Carlsbad Santa Fe Depot (about 700 feet away); Carlsbad's First Firehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Magee House (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Camino Real Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Twin Inns Gazebo (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlsbad.
Also see . . . Town of Water : Natural Springs of Carlsbad Originally Drew Settlers in 1880s - LA Times. Carlsbad owes much of its early (Submitted on December 29, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 471 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.