Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Millgrove in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Perry Center

 
 
Perry Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Baker
1. Perry Center Marker
Inscription.  1876 Perry Center 1946
(map on front, text on reverse)
When the state of Ohio was chartered, it mandated that every township set aside land for schools.The result was the classic one room schoolhouses that were built in the mid to last half of the eighteenth century and became the educational foundation of our state.

Perry Township had 10 such schools within its boundaries. The contributions of these schools as well as the contributions of the people who taught and learned within these walls have lifted this township, this state, and this nation to immeasurable heights. The foresight and commitment of our founding fathers and mothers to education has molded this township's greatest resource...its people. For it is only through the hard work, and dedicated service of educated citizens that this great township has developed from the Black Swamp that it once was, to the agriculturally rich land that it is today.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 41° 12.6′ N, 83° 28.623′ W. Marker is in West Millgrove

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagleville Road and Baird Road on Eagleville Road. This marker is at on old crossroads point of three early roads, Eagleville Road following the ridge, Oil Center Road, and Baird Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Millgrove OH 43467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fostoria (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fostoria Civil War Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 4.1 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 4.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Risdon Square (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bloomdale Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This is an interesting marker for the large size and for the large map on the front side.
 
Regarding Perry Center. The marker contains an error in the text. The text refers to the schools as built in the mid to last half of the eighteenth century. That would mean 1750-1800. What they meant was the 1800's, which was the 19th century. There is also no mention of the adjacent building which I presume is one of the one room schoolhouses, this one of wooden rather than brick construction.
 
Perry Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Baker
2. Perry Center Marker
Perry Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Baker
3. Perry Center Marker
Perry Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Baker
4. Perry Center Marker
Perry Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Baker
5. Perry Center Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 9, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=100786

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024