Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elk Point in Union County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Lewis & Clark Campsite / Eli Wixson Farm Site

 
 
Lewis & Clark Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 29, 2016
1. Lewis & Clark Campsite Marker
Inscription.  
Lewis & Clark Campsite
The Missouri River has carved many channels in its history. One such channel curved through the western edge of Elk Point creating the area now known as Heritage Park.

On August 22, 1804, Captain William Clark reported in his journal that the Missouri River "bends to the East and is within 3 or 4 miles of the River Soues (Big Sioux River)." Clark noted a "Great deel of Elk Sign" and reported making camp shortly after reaching "a Tree in the Prairie on the starboard side past a point of Sand on the starboard side."

In 1937, a 77 year-old Elliott Collins recounted Lewis & Clark's journey through this area in his historical thesis of Union County, which he submitted to the University of South Dakota. Collins, a former Clay County School Superintendent and South Dakota Superintendent of Schools, came to the Dakota Territory in 1864 and grew up hearing the oral histories of Elk Point from people like his uncle, Eli Wixson, Elk Point's founder.

Collins wrote that Lewis and Clark "made camp that night by a lone tree on a point of land on the river's north bank. This camp
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was about half a mile south and a quarter of a mile west of the present site of the Elk Point water plant, on the Eli Wixson farm, later owned by Charles Stickney." This description places the campsite here in Heritage Park.

Eli Wixson Farm Site
In 1858 a treaty was signed between the United States and Yankton Sioux that opened the Dakota frontier to settlement. A military supply route was established from Sioux City, Iowa to Fort Randall, a new outpost 150 miles to the west on the Missouri River.

Eli Wixson, daguerreotypist (photographer), took interest in a tract of land 20 miles north of Sioux City on the Military Road. This valley flatland appeared to escape high waters from the Missouri and Big Sioux Rivers. In 1859, three years before the Homestead Act flooded the Dakota Territory with immigrant settlers. Wixson paid a $14 filing fee and $1.25 an acre to take up residence as the first permanent citizen of Elk Point. He owned Elk Point's first business building, a log structure which housed a hotel, trading post, and a post office on the Military Road located at the southwest corner of Main and Douglas Streets.

In 1865, Wixson donated a block of his property for the Union County courthouse and a block for the Elk Point Public School. The Elk Point City Park was formerly part of Wixson's farm.

Eli Wixson served on the first city

Eli Wixson Farm Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 29, 2016
2. Eli Wixson Farm Site Marker
council and in the territorial legislature. He was Register of Deeds and county Commissioner, was Elk Point's first postmaster and served in Company B. First Dakota Cavalry.

Eli Wixson died in 1908 and is buried in the Elk Point Cemetery.
 
Erected 2001 by Union County Historical Society Funding Assistance by Warren and Elaine Schumacher Lashley.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 22, 1804.
 
Location. 42° 41.022′ N, 96° 41.547′ W. Marker is in Elk Point, South Dakota, in Union County. Marker is on S. Harrison St., 0.2 miles west of W. Jefferson, in the median. This marker is located in Heritage Park, Elk Point, SD. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elk Point SD 57025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Return to "Elk Sign" Campsite (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Entering an Uncertain Land (about 300 feet away); A Land of Plenty (about 300 feet away); U.S. Democracy Crosses the Mississippi River (about 300 feet away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (about 300 feet away); Elk Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Election in Northwestern United States
Lewis & Clark Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 29, 2016
3. Lewis & Clark Campsite Marker
(approx. half a mile away); Grasshopper Cross (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elk Point.
 
Lewis & Clark's Campsite Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 29, 2016
4. Lewis & Clark's Campsite Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=100821

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024