Pleasant Forest Church & Cemetery
A shed was erected as a temporary place of worship, later becoming a log building. In 1796, a Presbyterian Church was organized by the Reverend Samuel G. Ramsey, a noted Presbyterian minister, who was also the pastor of the church for several years. Other noted ministers who served the church were Reverend Samuel Doak, D.D., pioneer minister and educator of East Tennessee, and Reverend James Park, who for 50 years was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Knoxville. The first elders of Pleasant Forest Church were James Campbell, Elder David Campbell, Pleasant J. Temple, David L. Alexander, William M. Smith, James W. Seaton, James W. Craig, Sr. and David Smith. This church, at the time of its organization, was comprised of two congregations, known as "Pleasant Forest and Ebenezer".
In the year 1833,
Pleasant Forest Cemetery is also historic as it is one of the oldest cemeteries in this part of the state. Many of the early pioneer settlers of this community - noble men and women who endured the trials and hardships of pioneer life - are buried withing its grounds. Notable among those buried in Pleasant Forest are Archibald Boane, Second Governor of Tennessee; Elder David Campbell; and Lieutenant Thomas Boyd, Revolutionary War veteran who was with George Washington at Valley Forge in 1777. Descendants of David Campbell and Captain Boyd are prominent residents of the Farragut community.
Erected by Farragut Museum.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these
Location. 35° 53.3′ N, 84° 10.133′ W. Marker is in Farragut, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Campbell Station Road. Marker is located on the walking trail in Campbell Station Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Campbell Station Road, Knoxville TN 37934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Campbell Station Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Native American Settlement (within shouting distance of this marker); Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Historic Village of Concord (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Historic Village of Concord (about 500 feet away); The Battle of Campbell Station (about 500 feet away); Farragut Schools: Early Years (about 800 feet away); Farragut Schools: Recent Years (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farragut.
Also see . . . Pleasant Forest Cemetery. (Submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 14, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.