The Historic Village of Concord
The Establishment of the Railroad and Marble Industry
Concord was founded and platted in 1854 on land owned by James M. Rodgers. Before that time, the area was sparsely settled. Mr. Rodgers laid out 55 lots and gave the new town the name Concord. He began to sell lots in 1855 but later moved to California. Shortly before he moved, he sold several large tracts of land, some of which are still intact in sections of the village. Large farms were centered around the Tennessee River and relied on a nearby settlement, Campbell's Station (modern Farragut), for trade and other urban needs.
The first dwelling in Concord, a boarding house, was built by Shadrack Callaway. Combining
In the 1880s, Concord became the center of a large Tennessee marble production industry. Several quarries were located near the Holston (now Tennessee) River in Callaway's Ridge. The town also became the center of marble shipping as quarries in the Louisville and Friendsville area, on the south side of the river, shipped Tennessee marble to Concord to take advantage of the town's rail connections. In 1883, four marble companies were operating: the Lima and East Tennessee Company, Stamps Wood 7 Company, the Stewart Company and the Republic Company. Another, the Juanita Company, built a mill for sawing and polishing marble. The facility became the property of Enterprise Marble Company in 1886, the last company to quarry marble extensively.
None of the buildings associated with the marble industry in Concord remain today as many were flooded when Fort Loudoun Lake was impounded. The only remnant are a foundation which held a crusher. This foundation is located in the Rocky Point area of Concord Park and is visible from the Concord Road railroad bridge looking east.
"The special event of the week was meeting the
- Hazel Deane Koon, born 1898, recalls happy memories of Concord between 1908 and 1918.
Erected by Farragut Museum.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee - History of the Farragut Area series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 35° 53.283′ N, 84° 10.067′ W. Marker is in Farragut, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Campbell Station Road. Marker is located on the walking trail in Campbell Station Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Campbell Station Road, Knoxville TN 37934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Historic Village of Concord (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Campbell Station
Also see . . . Concord, Tennessee. (Submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.