Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bullard in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bullard Water Well

 
 
Bullard Water Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brad Low, September 30, 2016
1. Bullard Water Well Marker
Inscription.  On this site, the historic town well of Bullard marks the origin of the community. In 1883, the Kansas and Gulf Short Line railroad extended tracks from Tyler to Lufkin, and the town of Bullard, named for postmaster John Henry Bullard, supplanted the earlier communities of Etna and Hewsville. A reliable public water source helped Bullard to grow and thrive. This and other wells in Smith County utilize the Carrizo-Wilcox major aquifer and the Queen City minor aquifer. Water can be drawn by pumps, windmills, or buckets lowered to the water table. This natural resource provided drinking water for people and animals and also served as a social gathering place early in Bullard’s history.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16012.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureMan-Made FeaturesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 32° 8.392′ N, 95° 19.27′ W. Marker is in Bullard, Texas, in Smith County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Farm to Market Road 2493, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 E Main St, Bullard TX 75757, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dewberry Plantation House (approx. 5.1 miles away); Camp of the Army of the Republic of Texas (approx. 5.1 miles away); Love's Lookout (approx. 8 miles away); Smith Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Whitehouse (approx. 8.7 miles away); Cuney (approx. 9.4 miles away); Old Neches Saline Road (approx. 10.4 miles away); James Calhoun Hill (approx. 11.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bullard.
 
Bullard Water Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brad Low, September 30, 2016
2. Bullard Water Well Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2017, by Brad Low of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2017, by Brad Low of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=100942

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024