Odessa in Big Stone County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Welcome to Odessa
The village of Odessa began in 1879 with it's first settler, A.D. Beardsley. He was the Milwaukee depot agent and owner of the first general store. Mr. Beardsley lost a three-year-old daughter, Dessa, to diphtheria. It was after this girl that the town was named.
In April, 1880, the fist school session was held. The brick school was built in 1915 and used until 1986. It was dismantled in 1992 with its bricks to be reused in other buildings.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 45° 15.704′ N, 96° 19.841′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Minnesota, in Big Stone County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 28 and Bloomington Ave. N, on the right when traveling east on County Route 28. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odessa MN 56276, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ancient Exposed Rock (approx. 3˝ miles away); Paul Bunyan's Boat-Anchor (approx. 5˝ miles away); Geology of Minnesota A Glacial Wall of Water (approx. 5˝ miles away); Big Stone County Courthouse (approx. 6.3 miles away); St. Pauli Lutheran Church (approx. 12.4 miles away); The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Depot (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.