Edison Park School
Historic Edison Park School, a public elementary school, is one of the oldest in Southwest Florida. It has played a prominent role in the cultural as well as the educational life of this community. Started in 1926 and opened on March 30, 1927, it was named for the gracious residential subdivision in which it stands, which was named for Thomas A. Edison, whose winter home it adjoins. The great inventor and his wife attended the cornerstone laying on May 13, 1926.
At that time the Edison Park School auditorium, with a seating capacity then of 500, was the largest auditorium in Lee County. As such, its stage was for a quarter of a century the site of most of the concerts and theatrical performances, amateur and professional, presented in Fort Myers.
The school's first principal was the late Miss Pearl Bullock, who held that post for 32 years.
Erected 1983 by Periwinkle Garden Club of Fort Myers.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education.
Location. 26° 37.956′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Alva Edison (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mina Miller Edison (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edison Heritage Garden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Banyan Tree (Ficus benghalensis) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edison Family Home Seminole Lodge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edison Estate Restoration and Rebirth (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orchid Lane and Friendship Walk (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clara Ford’s Michigan Rose Garden (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Myers.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.