Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
1. St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1887, construction of a church was begun on land donated to the Titusville Episcopal mission by Mary Titus, wife of the town's founder, and J. Dunlin Perkinson, lay reader of the mission. The name of the church was changed from St. John's to St. Gabriel's with the gift in 1888 of a stained glass window depicting St. Gabriel. The neo-Gothic style reflects a trend in Episcopal Church architecture in central Florida during the late 1800's. This style was spread through the efforts of Edwin G. Weed, third bishop of Florida. The church, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, contains a fine collection of Victorian stained glass.
 
Erected 1974 by St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-231.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 28° 36.639′ N, 80° 48.552′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of South Palm Avenue and Pine Street, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling south on South Palm Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 Pine Street, Titusville FL 32796, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brevard County Clerk of the Circuit Court & Records Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Brevard County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brevard County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brevard County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); LR91-3 Engine (within shouting distance of this marker); North Brevard County Veterans Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); RL-10 Engine (within shouting distance of this marker); The Legend of the Cresent Moon on the Outhouse Door (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
 
Also see . . .  St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on February 1, 2017.)
 
St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
2. St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
Looking north on Palm Avenue. The marker can be seen to the far right, seen through an entryway porch.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101181

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024