Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kranzburg in Codington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

District No. 5 Public School

 
 
District No. 5 Public School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, September 20, 2016
1. District No. 5 Public School Marker
Inscription.  
District No. 5 School was the first rural public school in Codington County. At a meeting on June 30, 1879 at the Kranz Hotel, it was decided to build the school for $1,000 or less. The first term was from December 1879 to March 1880, taught by C.E. South for $30 per month.

Twenty-nine pupils were enrolled, ranging in age from five to 21, with an average of 14 students attending. Although other subjects were later added, the first classes were reading, spelling, arithmetic, history, and geography. School terms varied based on the severity of weather and the need for students to help with crops.

Attendance dropped after the turn of the century when a Catholic school opened. During years when there was a shortage of nuns, the schools worked together to cover all subjects. The last teacher's report for District No. 5 School was filed June 2, 1960, ending 90 years of schooling.

This site has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 44° 53.543′ N, 96° 55.257′ W. Marker is in Kranzburg, South Dakota, in Codington County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Peter St. NW and Hastings Ave. NW, on the left when traveling east on St. Peter St. NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 181 St Peter St NW, Kranzburg SD 57245, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Rosary Cemetery of Kranzburg / Holy Rosary Catholic Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holy Rosary Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dedicated to Veterans (approx. 8.9 miles away); Freeman Thayer Post Memorial (approx. 8.9 miles away); Public Opinion & City Hall (approx. 9.2 miles away); M.D. Alexander's Furniture Store (approx. 9.4 miles away); Paris Store (approx. 9.4 miles away); McCarthy Building (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kranzburg.
 
District No. 5 Public School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, September 20, 2016
2. District No. 5 Public School Marker
Original Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, September 20, 2016
3. Original Plaque
1961
Oldest Rural School
in Codington County
Built in 1878
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101265

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024