Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1820 Brook Mackall Purchased the land and sold it in 1846 to Edward Magruder Linthicum - He enlarged the house and garden - changed the name to Monterey and bequeathed it in 1869 to Edward Linthicum Dent - In 1891 Henry Fitch Blount bought the property and named it the Oaks - His widow sold it to Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss who remodelled the house - added to the grounds - enlarged the gardens and rechristened the whole Dumbarton Oaks in 1920.
Research Library and Collection
And its gardens
were conveyed to
In 1940 by
Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1702.
Location. 38° 54.806′ N, 77° 3.8′ W. Marker is in Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on R Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3101 R Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Garage (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Watching the Flames (about 700 feet away); The Georgetown Heights (about 700 feet away); Parrott Ropewalk (about 700 feet away); South Lawn (about 800 feet away); The Original Georgetown Reservoir (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montrose Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 12, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7, 8, 9. submitted on February 14, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.