Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Augusta & Aiken Railway
The Augusta and Aiken Railway, a 26 mile interurban electric trolley line between Augusta, Ga., and Aiken, operated from 1902 to 1929. In Aiken the line began at the corner of Park Ave. & Union St., proceeded west on Park, then north on Laurens St., then west on Hampton Ave., and toward Augusta on what is now Trolley Line Rd. The first passengers paid 25 cents to ride 2 hours one way or 4 hours for a round trip.
In 1906 the railway bought 4 new passenger cars with 52 seats each. Built by the J.G. Brill Car Co. of Philadelphia, they were nicknamed "Big Reds." Stops between Aiken and Augusta were Graniteville, Madison, Warrenville, Gloverville, Langley, Bath, Clearwater, Summerhill, and North Augusta. The trolley line struggled with the advent of the automobile and made its last run from Aiken on July 8, 1929.
Erected 2007 by Aiken County Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-38.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Events • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aiken SC 29801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aiken Vietnam War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Aiken (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Author Jeff Scott (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John's Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); H. Odell Weeks (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1953 Gas Explosion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Original Survey of Aiken (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Aiken (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Thaddeus Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Aiken First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,439 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.