Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Tourist Camp Complex
The Texas Lunchroom, a one-room frame building, was built in 1929. Renamed the Texas Cafe in 1935 and faced with stone to match other buildings in the complex, it was enlarged to provide second-floor living quarters. Popular with local high school and college students, as well as families and the traveling public, it was closed in the 1960s after a highway bypass built west of town diverted traffic from this area. The cafe reopened in 1993. One of the few intact examples of tourist camps built throughout
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5275.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
Location. 33° 13.724′ N, 97° 34.726′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of Business U.S. 287 and East Hale Avenue, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 287Business . Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 904 US-287 Bus, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Episcopal Mission of the Ascension (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Stone Prison (approx. half a mile away); Wise County Messenger (approx. half a mile away); Wise County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Vernon Terrell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Randolph Vesey (approx. 0.6 miles away); Captain George W. Stevens (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wise County C.S.A. (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Additional keywords. automobile topics; buildings; inns, hotels, motels
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 4. submitted on February 22, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.