Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caro in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Tuscola County Advertiser

 
 
Tuscola County Advertiser Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
1. Tuscola County Advertiser Marker
Inscription.  The Tuscola County Advertiser began publishing on August 21, 1868. The city's oldest surviving business establishment, it was founded by Henry G. Chapin, a native of Conesus, New York. Chapin edited and published the paper for twelve years. The paper began with a circulation of 300, and by 1986 it had reached 14,200 readers. The newspaper has received over seventy Awards of Excellence from the Michigan Press Association and was honored as Michigan's outstanding weekly newspaper by the University of Michigan Press Club in 1983.
 
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1326.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 21, 1868.
 
Location. 43° 29.438′ N, 83° 23.645′ W. Marker is in Caro, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is on North State Sreet (State Highway 81), on the right when traveling east. Marker is halfway
Tuscola County Advertiser and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
2. Tuscola County Advertiser and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
between East Burnside Street and East Sherman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 344 North State Sreet, Caro MI 48723, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tuscola County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Caro Masonic Temple (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Caro (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Meeting of the Caro Rotary Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); William H. Carson House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Peninsular Sugar Refining Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Watrousville United Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caro.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101614

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021