Liberty Hill in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected in 1871, this structure of hand-cut native limestone is perhaps the oldest still standing in Liberty Hill. It was built by S. P. Stubblefield (1824-1902). A native of Alabama and veteran of the Mexican War (1846-48), and owned by his family until 1907. The lower floor has housed various stores and businesses, while the upper floor was often used as living quarters. In 1973 the building was bought and restored by sculptor Mel Fowler.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12998.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, Mexican-American. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 30° 39.863′ N, 97° 55.333′ W. Marker is in Liberty Hill, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Main Street near East Myrtle Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty Hill TX 78642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Hill Masonic Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Hill Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles First Baptist Church of Liberty Hill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bryson Stagecoach Stop (approx. 1.6 miles away); John G. Matthews (approx. 1.8 miles away); William O. Spencer (approx. 1.8 miles away); Liberty Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); John G. Matthews House (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty Hill.
Also see . . . Stubblefield Building. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on March 3, 2017, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 779 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2017, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2017, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.