Casselberry in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The history of the cemetery dates back to 1890 when Laura and William Brawner donated 16 acres of land for the establishment of a cemetery for black slaves. It was named Evergreen. During this time, blacks and whites were not allowed to be buried together.
The first pioneer trustees of the cemetery were George W. Cook, L.W. Fountain, S.E. Jones, Willie E. Merritt, William M. Jones, John W. Ford, K.G. Gray and John Daniel Merritt.
These early pioneers were later employed as laborers with the Fern Industry. They worked first for Gordon Barnett and later for Hubbard Casselberry. While working in the fern industry many went on to operate their own businesses including grocery stores and building homes.
Inside the confines of the cemetery grounds were nine "shotgun" houses. Traditionally within the Southern Black community these were narrow houses without halls. If a bullet was fired
In the beginning five churches helped maintain the grounds of the Evergreen Cemetery. They were Freewill Baptist Church, New Bethel AME Church, St. Johns Missionary Baptist Church, William Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, Sanctified Church which is now known as Church of God in Christ Love Tabernacle Church. One common cemetery maintenance practice was to cut the sand pines for Christmas trees.
Over the years the name Evergreen was forgotten. The cemetery has also been known as Altamonte Colored Cemetery, Fern Park Cemetery, and the Altamonte and Fern Park Community Cemetery. In 2007, through the research efforts of Alton Williams, it was returned to its original name of Evergreen Cemetery.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 28° 40.226′ N, 81° 20.505′ W. Marker is in Casselberry, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on South Cypress Way, 0.1 miles south of Melody Lane, on the right when traveling southTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 South Cypress Way, Casselberry FL 32707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belgian Azalea Gardens (approx. Ό mile away); Casselberry (approx. 0.3 miles away); John & Annie Griffin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Concord Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Park (approx. half a mile away); Fort Concord (approx. half a mile away); Historical Winwood (approx. Ύ mile away); Altamonte Chapel (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Casselberry.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 414 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.