San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Schooner C.A. Thayer
Thayer was one of 123 three-masted schooners built on the West Coast for the lumber trade. From 1895 until 1912 she sailed with lumber cargoes from the Pacific Northwest to California ports.
She was then purchased by "Whitehead Pete" Nelson, owner of a salmon salting station in Alaska. Thayer made yearly trips from San Francisco Bay to Bristol Bay with men and supplies, returning with barreled salmon.
In 1925 Thayer became a cod fisherman, sailing from Washington and fishing in the Bering Sea. Her final trip, in 1950, was the last commercial voyage by a West Coast sailing vessel.
Built: 1895, Fairhaven, Humboldt Bay, California
Builder: Hans Bendixson Shipyard.
Length on Deck - 156 feet
Beam - 36 feet
Draft - 11 feet
Gross Tonnage - 453
Erected by U.S. Department of the Interior. National Park Service, San Francisco Maritime
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 37° 48.553′ N, 122° 25.292′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker can be reached from Hyde Street near Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2950 Hyde Street, San Francisco CA 94109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Petaluma's Sternwheel (a few steps from this marker); Hyde Street Pier Was Part of Highway 101 (a few steps from this marker); The Return of the C.A. Thayer (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferryboat Eureka (within shouting distance of this marker); Paddle Tug Eppleton Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Tug Sea Fox (within shouting distance of this marker); Ship Balclutha (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tubbs Cordage Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . C.A. Thayer History. ...She was named for Clarence A. Thayer, a partner in the San Francisco-based E.K. Wood Lumber Company.
Between 1895 and 1912, Thayer usually sailed from E.K. Wood's mill in Grays Harbor, Washington, to San Francisco. But she also carried lumber (Submitted on March 7, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Additional keywords. Schooner C.A. Thayer
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.