Thompson in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
“Quinnatisset”, now included in the town of
Thompson, was settled in 1693. The first
settler, Richard Evans of Rehoboth,
Massachusetts, purchased 200 acres in the
vicinity of Quinnatisset Hill. At first part
of Killingly, Thompson was incorporated in
1785 as a distinct town and derived its name
from its principal landholder, Sir Robert
Thompson of Middlesex, England.
Many examples of early architecture can be
seen preserved in the dwellings and public
buildings of Thompson. The Vernon Stiles
Inn, established in 1814, was a favorite stop
for travelers along the Boston to Hartford
and Providence to Springfield “pikes”.
moved in 1963 to Old Sturbridge Village, where
it stands as a monument to early mill town
culture. The Old Town Hall, dating from 1842,
remains on the west side of the Common, and
the Congregational Church, completed in 1856,
Ellen D. Larned (1825-1912), historian and
author of the History of Windham County,
resided here on Thompson Hill. Ithiel Town
(1784-1844), noted architect, was also a
native of Thompson.
Erected by Thompson Historical Society, the Town of Thompson, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1693.
Location. 41° 57.513′ N, 71° 51.773′ W. Marker is in Thompson, Connecticut, in Windham County. Marker is at the intersection of Thompson Road (Connecticut Route 193) and Thomson Hill Road (Route 200), on the left when traveling north on Thompson Road. The marker is on the Common opposite Thompson Congregational Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thompson CT 06277, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson Civil and Spanish War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Thompson Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Oscar Walfrid Swanson (approx. 2½ miles away); Thompson War Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away); V.F.W. Post 10088 Veterans Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away); Persian Gulf Operation Desert StormEnduring Freedom Iraq Freedom (approx. 2½ miles away); Thompson World War I Monument (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thompson.
Also see . . .
1. Thompson. (Submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Old Sturbridge Village. (Submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.