Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christ Episcopal Church
On February 16, 1849, the congregation purchased this property from John Ashhurst. Construction of the church was commenced in April of that year. On February 22, 1851, the first worship service was held. The church was formally consecrated by Bishop Lee on December 13, 1857. Parish tradition contends that the design for the building was based upon that of the Church of the Redeemer for Seamen, an ornate floating edifice which served the needs of port of Philadelphia sailors from 1849 to 1853.
The building of a Rectory was authorized on February 7, 1870.
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-100.)
Location. 39° 34.509′ N, 75° 35.555′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Street and Third Street, on the right when traveling south on Clinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Delaware City Public School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware City Fire Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Officers Row (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Delaware City (approx. 0.3 miles away); Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Commanding Officer Quarters (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Diving Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Christ Episcopal Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.