Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgianna United Methodist Church

 
 
Georgianna United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 2013
1. Georgianna United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Georgianna United Methodist Church was built in the community of Georgiana on Merritt's Island in 1886. The ringing of the church bell still marks the beginning of worship as it has for many decades. Franklin C. Allen, Jr., a local homesteader, donated the land where the church stands. In the summer of 1886, led by Edwin Nelson, men of the Georgiana community started their building program. Lumber was brought in from St. Augustine by sailboat and unloaded along the Indian River shoreline then carried to the work site. By the end of September the roof was in place and Sunday school was held using chairs on loan from local households. Crafting of the pews was the next project. D.C. Munson crafted the pews by hand from rough lumber. The first service was held on Thanksgiving in 1886. With its dark wood, white pews, red carpet and bright stained glass windows, Georgianna United Methodist Church is one of the most unique worship centers on the east coast of Florida. Georgianna United Methodist Church has always been a vital part of its community and remains so today.
 
Erected 2005 by Brevard County Historical
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-547.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
 
Location. 28° 17.316′ N, 80° 40.525′ W. Marker is on Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of South Tropical Trail (County Road 3) and Crooked Mile Road, on the right when traveling south on South Tropical Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3925 South Tropical Trail 32952, Merritt Island FL 32952, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Georgiana Railway: 1892-1894 (within shouting distance of this marker); Provost Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lawndale (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Thousand Islands (approx. 4 miles away); Valencia Historic District (approx. 4.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Buffalo Hunt (approx. 4.3 miles away); America’s Women Veterans (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Merritt Island.
 
Also see . . .  Georgianna United Methodist Church. (Submitted on March 27, 2017.)
 
Georgianna United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 2013
2. Georgianna United Methodist Church and Marker
Georgianna United Methodist Church and Marker looking west image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 2013
3. Georgianna United Methodist Church and Marker looking west
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102267

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024