St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1750
Three major phases of town growth are depicted in this house. The first phase is represented in the first floor's L-shaped plan of coquina during the First Spanish Period, the second is an eastern wing built in the British Period, and the final is the wooden upper story added during the Territorial Period. The resulting structure is larger and more impressive than the traditional dwellings. Minor modifications, additions, and deterioration were factors addressed during the 1968 restoration. Physical evidence, archival research, and archaeological studies contributed to the building's restoration. Since 1931 the building has been owned by the City of St. Augustine and under management of the Woman's Exchange.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1750.
Location. 29° 53.609′ N, 81° 18.769′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of St George Street and Treasury Street, on the left when traveling south on St George Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143 St George St, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Treasury/Dr. Peck House (here, next to this marker); Dr. Peck House (a few steps from this marker); Father Pedro Camps (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Father Pedro Camps (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick Douglass (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine (about 300 feet away); Coquina in These Walls (about 300 feet away); Plaza de la Constitución (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.