Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Concord in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House

 
 
The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 26, 2016
1. The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  The first Cumberland Presbyterian Congregation in East Tennessee was organized c. 1822 and given the name Concord. The church building, often referred to as the "Old Meeting House", was located 2 miles SE of the present town of Concord just off Westland Drive. In 1828, the Concord Church was the site of the organization of Knoxville Presbytery, the first Cumberland Presbyterian presbytery in East Tennessee.

Because of distance and road conditions, in 1870 members living in Concord established a church in town. They took with them the name Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church and built in what is now the Masonic Cemetery. members continuing to worship at the original site renamed their church West Emory Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1906 both the Concord and West Emory Churches entered into union with the Presbyterian Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
 
Location. 35° 51.867′ N, 84° 8.417′ W. Marker is in Concord, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on 2nd Drive, on the left when traveling

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11019 2nd Dr, Knoxville TN 37934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Memorial for Cofounders of Campbell Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); Battle of Campbell's Station (approx. 1˝ miles away); Admiral David Glasgow Farragut Monument (approx. 1˝ miles away); Archibald Roane (approx. 1.6 miles away); David Glasgow Farragut (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Campbell's Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); Loveville (approx. 1.6 miles away); After the Civil War (approx. 1.7 miles away).
 
Concord, Tennessee image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 26, 2016
2. Concord, Tennessee
The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 26, 2016
3. The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House Marker
Concord, Tennessee image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 26, 2016
4. Concord, Tennessee
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 2, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102446

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024