Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Camp Weatherford

 
 
Camp Weatherford Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 29, 2017
1. Camp Weatherford Marker Side 1
Inscription.  (side 1)
With baseball suspended for the duration of WWII, present-day McKechnie Field was closed between 1941-48 and taken over by the U.S. Army and named Camp Bradenton. Under command of Maj. Joseph H. Dunlap, it was designated a Signal Corps basic training facility and substation of Drew Field, Tampa. First troops arrived March 27, 1942. City Annex is where headquarters stood. Name was changed to Camp Weatherford in April 1943 in honor of Pfc. Willie M. Weatherford of Miami who was killed in the Philippines during WWII. Maj. Louis A. Cary became the commanding officer.
(Continued on reverse side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Troops were housed in tents and used existing buildings for the mess hall and classrooms. On April 1, 1943, the 740th Signal Aircraft Warning Company was activated at Drew Field with a cadre of 37. They moved here with 300 enlisted men and officers on July 6, 1943. Arriving in New Guinea in April 1944, this unit was assigned to and became Company A of the 596th S.A.W. Bn. and later served in the Philippines and Okinawa.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker dedicated June 17, 1993 on the 50th anniversary of the 740th and 18th reunion of the 596th by Ernest Roy Singleton, Jr., chairman.
 
Erected by Manatee County Historical Society in cooperation with City of Bradenton, 740th S.A.W. Co., Janet B. Hampton, Barclay S. Horney and the Weatherford Family Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: SportsWar, World II. A significant historical date for this entry is March 27, 1942.
 
Location. 27° 29.247′ N, 82° 34.27′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 9th Street West south of 13th Avenue West, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in front of the Bradenton Public Works. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1411 9th St West, Bradenton FL 34205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bradenton General Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Major Adams Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln High School (approx. half a mile away); The Honorable R.B. "Chips" Shore Courthouse Grounds (approx. half a mile away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bradentown Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bradenton Kiwanis Club / Kiwanis Trailer Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Camp Weatherford Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 29, 2017
2. Camp Weatherford Marker Side 2
 
Camp Weatherford Marker and Bradenton Public Works building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 29, 2017
3. Camp Weatherford Marker and Bradenton Public Works building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102469

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024