Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Appleton in Outagamie County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lawrence University

 
 
Lawrence University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 6, 2008
1. Lawrence University Marker
Inscription.  Lawrence University, chartered January 15, 1847, has admitted women to its student body from the day classes started November 12, 1849, in the original Academy or Institute. The first collegiate class of seven students -- four men and three women -- was graduated in July 1857, thereby making Lawrence University the first coeducational institution of higher learning in the State of Wisconsin.
 
Erected 1971 by Outagamie County Historical Society. (Marker Number 87.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 44° 15.702′ N, 88° 23.914′ W. Marker is in Appleton, Wisconsin, in Outagamie County. Marker is on East College Avenue near North Union Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Appleton WI 54912, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Merging of Milwaukee-Downer and Lawrence Colleges (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vulcan Street Plant Replica (approx. ¼ mile away); First Edison Hydroelectric System in America
Lawrence University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 6, 2008
2. Lawrence University Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); 9-11 Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Commercially Successful Electric Street Railway (approx. half a mile away); Henry James and Cremora Rogers Residence (approx. one mile away); Number 736 (approx. one mile away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Appleton.
 
More about this marker. This is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 87.
 
Also see . . .  A Brief History of Lawrence University. The Reverend William Harkness Sampson had been commissioned, along with the Reverend Henry R. Colman, by the Boston merchant Amos A. Lawrence to establish a frontier school to afford "gratuitous advantage to Germans and Indians of both sexes." (Submitted on August 14, 2008.) 
 
Lawrence University image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 6, 2008
3. Lawrence University
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 913 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 12, 2020