Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Enoch Pratt House
Pratt and his wife built their home on the southwest corner of Park Avenue and Monument Street in 1845. As they had no children, Pratt gave much of his time and wealth to Baltimore's cultural and charitable institutions, serving as a trustee of the Peabody Institute as well as treasurer and chairman of its library committee. He founded the House of Reformation and Instruction for Colored Children at Cheltenham, and the Maryland School for the Deaf and Dumb at Frederick. In 1885 construction began on the Enoch Pratt Free Circulating Library. After constructing a central library building and
In 1847 The Baltimore Equitable society issued an insurance policy to Enoch Pratt for his new home and stable noting a: "two story brick stable, 24 feet by 46 feet - built in a secure manner."
In 1916, as a memorial to her husband H. Irvine Keyser, Mary Washington Keyser presented the former Enoch Pratt residence and its land to the MdHS as its permanent home.
Erected 2008 by the City of Baltimore, Shiela Dixon, mayor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers series list.
Location. 39° 17.84′ N, 76° 37.122′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of West Monument Street and Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Monument Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Full Glory (here, next to this marker); H. Irvine Keyser (a few steps from this marker); Maryland Historical Society Striving for Civil Liberties: The Progressives of Mount Vernon (within shouting distance of this marker); On To Yorktown (within shouting distance of this marker); King Gambrinus, 1879 (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace and St. Peter's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Revival (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . . Enoch Pratt House. (PDF) Maryland Inventory of Historic Places, B-134 (Submitted on August 20, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,234 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3. submitted on January 30, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 20, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.