Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Rosa in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
MISSING
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Comstock House Restoration

Due to be Completed in 2012

 
 
Comstock House Restoration Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 29, 2017
1. Comstock House Restoration Marker
Inscription.  The 1905 Comstock House is undergoing a restoration. This house was designed by local architect Brainerd Jones, who also created most of the buildings in Petaluma's historic core as well as the nearby Belvedere.
Jones included may whimsical features: The left and right front side are asymmetrical. The gable is off center and its right side is incomplete. The porch has a decorative giany bracket that appear to be supporting the top floors.
The Comstock House was built for the Oates family in six months during the rainy winter of 1904-1905. It was purchased for $10,000 in 1916 by Nellie Comstock, and members of her family would live there for the next 74 years.
This house was the residence of Judge Hilliard Comstock, a civic leader who directed the expansion of the school system, creation of Howarth Park, and led the drive to build Memorial Hospital.
The Oates and Comstock families had remarkable roles on opposite sides of the Civil War. Nellie's father was head of the abolitionist group that funded John Brown, who attempted to end slavery through armed revolt. Mr. Oates' brother led the Confederate troops at Gettysburg
Comstock House and Restoration Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 29, 2017
2. Comstock House and Restoration Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
that lost the Battle of Little Round Top, which some scholars believe was pivotal in the South's defeat.
Comstock House is a private family home.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 38° 26.862′ N, 122° 43.069′ W. Marker was in Santa Rosa, California, in Sonoma County. Marker was at the intersection of Mendocino Avenue and Benton Street, on the left when traveling north on Mendocino Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 759 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa CA 95401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Santa Rosa Post Office and Federal Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Isaac De Turk 1843 - 1896 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lee Bros. Building - 1906 (approx. Ύ mile away); Luther Burbank Home (approx. 0.8 miles away); Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Luther Burbank's Garden (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hogan Building (approx. 6½ miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Rosa.
 
Also see . . .  Comstock House - comstockhouse.org. (Submitted on April 7, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
 
Comstock House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 29, 2017
3. Comstock House
Comstock House Restoration Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Diane Phillips
4. Comstock House Restoration Marker
The marker is missing.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   4. submitted on December 18, 2020, by Diane Phillips of Pittsburg, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102519

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 27, 2023