Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. John's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. John's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 9, 2017
1. St. John's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1835, under the leadership of the Reverend William N. Lyster, this church was founded as St. Patrick's Episcopal Church. The Reverend Lyster had organized a church in nearby Tecumseh in 1833, and this church was a mission of that pioneer parish until 1836. In 1853 the parish voted to change its name to St. John's Episcopal Church. Completed in 1835, This is the oldest remaining Episcopal church building in Michigan. Its handhewn beams, wainscoting and stained glass windows all date back to 1835.
 
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L875.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 42° 4.271′ N, 83° 58.157′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is on East Church Street, 0.1 miles east of Tecumseh Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 East Church Street, Clinton MI 49236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jira Payne House / The Smith-Kimball Family (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clinton Schools (about 500 feet away); Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn (about 700 feet away); Clinton Downtown Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Deloss Bowman Memorial Bench (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. ¼ mile away); Armistice (Veterans) Day (approx. ¼ mile away); All Gave Some - Some Gave All (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
St. John's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, April 9, 2017
2. St. John's Episcopal Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102573

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024