Mystic Congregational Church Bell
This bell is an integral part of the history of Medford. It was cast in 1860 by Henry N. Hooper Company of Boston with a 44 inch diameter, 1,700 lbs. weight, in F Sharp.
The bell was constructed for the presidential campaign of the Constitutional Union Party candidates John Bell (president) and Edward Everett (vice-president) with the inscription: "Massachusetts for the Union, the Constitution and the Enforcement of the Laws". On the opposite side were the words "Bell & Everett, 1860". In that year the bell, mounted on a dray and accompanied by several men to ring it, was pulled by six white horses throughout Massachusetts.
Days after Lincoln's victory, the Trinitarian Society purchased the bell from the State Committee of the Constitutional Union Party with insurance money from their fire ravaged church at 44 High Street. The Trinitarians had already donated one hundred silver dollars to be melted into the bell when it was cast. In 1874 the bell was moved the the remodeled Mystic Congregational Church at 30 Salem Street. It remained there until 1990 when the weakened steeple was removed from the New England Baptist Church.
Erected 1990 by Medford Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 42° 24.748′ N, 71° 6.661′ W. Marker is in Medford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on George Street. Marker is located in Royall Park, at the corner of Main Street and George Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford MA 02155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royall House (a few steps from this marker); Stearns Estate (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Jingle Bells” Composed Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); Captain Isaac Hall Hitching Post (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Grandfather’s House” (approx. 0.4 miles away); [History of Medford Government] (approx. half a mile away); Powder House (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
Additional keywords. 1860 Presidental election
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2017, by Sarah Corvene of Medford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2017, by Sarah Corvene of Medford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.