Cortez in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Village of Cortez
Origin of the name CORTEZ cannot be proved but is thought to have begun with the inhabitants of a Spanish fishing "rancho" in this vicinity. The area was known as "Hunter's Point" to local residents until the 1880's. This is borne out by notations found on the U.S. Coast Survey of the Manatee River and vicinity in 1874. Manatee County Deed records show 110 acres here were purchased from Florida Land and Improvement (Disston Purchase) by Allen Gardner for $139.03 on April 17, 1883. In 1887 the 20 acre parcel surrounding and to the north of this site was subdivided and in Sept. 1888 a post office under the name CORTEZ was established with Charles D. Jones as postmaster. Mail came three times a week by boat from Braidentown. During the latter years of the 19th century the area was settled by commercial fishermen of English descent, most often coming here from the coastal counties of North Carolina, primarily Carteret and Onslow.
Erected 1983 by The Manatee County Historical Commission in cooperation with the Board of County Commissioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 17, 1883.
Location. 27° 27.971′ N, 82° 41.132′ W. Marker is in Cortez, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 46th Avenue West and 123rd Street Court West, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12306 46th Avenue West, Cortez FL 34215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The 1890 Bratton Store/The 1912 Cortez Rural Graded Schoolhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Palma Sola Community Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Shaw's Point Archeological District (approx. 4.6 miles away); Holy Eucharist Monument and Memorial Cross (approx. 4.6 miles away); DeSoto Trail (approx. 4.7 miles away); De Soto Trail Monument (approx. 4.7 miles away); La Florida's Early Peoples (approx. 4.7 miles away); Hernando de Soto (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.