East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin / St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin
Affectionately known as Father Mac, the Reverend Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin (1904-1987) was associated with Lansing area Catholics for nearly 45 years. A native of Ubly, he was ordained in 1932. Father Mac was appointed as the first superintendent of schools for the Diocese of Lansing (1940-1955). He became pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas in 1943. He founded the parish grade school in 1949 and St. John Student Center at Michigan State University in 1957. He was a lecturer in theology at MSU from 1943 to 1966. His loves in life were Catholic schools, MSU, the Knights of Columbus and the State Police. All his life he sought to do some spiritual good for each person he met whether young or old, without regard to creed.
St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish
Founded in 1940 by Bishop Joseph H. Albers, St. Thomas Aquinas was the largest parish in the Diocese of Lansing by 1988. The first Catholic parish established in East Lansing, it also served Okemos, Haslett and Bath. The church took its name from the scholar St. Thomas Aquinas because it originally served as the Michigan
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1502.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 44.626′ N, 84° 28.44′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from Alton Road. The marker is near the church tower, which is about 400 feet west of Alton Road. The church is about 0.5 mile south of East Saginaw Street (Business Interstate Highway 69). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 955 Alton Road, East Lansing MI 48823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Automobile Dealers Association (approx. 0.6 miles away); Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.6 miles away); Collegeville / East Lansing (approx. 0.7 miles away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (approx. 0.8 miles away); Women's Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University (approx. 0.8 miles away); Harry J. Eustace Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Also see . . . St. Thomas Aquinas History. (Submitted on April 22, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.