Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Carnegie Library

 
 
Carnegie Library Marker Side A image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, May 22, 2017
1. Carnegie Library Marker Side A
Inscription.  
Side A
Andrew Carnegie credited libraries with opening the "treasures of knowledge and imagination through which youth may ascend." This belief led him to provide funding for more than 1,600 libraries across the United States. Designed by local architect Edwin A. Bowd, Lansing's library was typical of Carnegie libraries. Its simple style featured a classical facade that suggested a return to the enlightened days of antiquity. The original interior included spaces with specific functions, such as the reading room and the children's room, as well as an auditorium on the second floor. The libraries interior design reflected changing cultural attitudes toward the role of libraries in the United States, as libraries put more emphasis on public access, especially use by children and young adults.

Side B
In 1902 steel magnate Andrew Carnegie offered Lansing $35,000 to build a new public library. Persuaded by the tireless efforts of local women's groups, voters accepted the gift and agreed to pay $3,500 annually to maintain the building. According to The State Republican, State Librarian sought Carnegie's donation in the

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
belief that "the future of any nation depends upon the intellectual development of its citizens." A crowd of eager residents was present to dedicate the new library on February 22, 1905. The library was valued as a resource for the general public, as well as for student from the old Central High School, located on the same block. When the new community library was built in 1964, this building continued its educational role by becoming part of Lansing Community College
 
Erected 2011 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2226.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEducationIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Michigan Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
 
Location. 42° 44.24′ N, 84° 33.277′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on W. Shiawassee Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 W Shiawassee Street, Lansing MI 48933, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lansing Community College (within shouting distance of this marker); Mack-e-te-be-nessy “Andrew J. Blackbird” c. 1815-1908 (about 600 feet away, measured
Carnegie Library Marker Side B image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, May 22, 2017
2. Carnegie Library Marker Side B
in a direct line); Louis Beck House (about 700 feet away); Drs. Pearl Kendrick and Grace Eldering (about 700 feet away); Jonas Salk (about 800 feet away); John T. Herrmann House (about 800 feet away); Muzyad Yahkoob “Danny Thomas” (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Crapo “Billy” Durant 1861-1947 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
Additional keywords. Public Buildings.
 
Carnegie Library with Marker image. Click for full size.
August 25, 2014
3. Carnegie Library with Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 134 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.   3. submitted on May 10, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103324

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024