Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Three Rivers in Tulare County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The CCC Boys

 
 
The CCC Boys Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 3, 2017
1. The CCC Boys Marker
Inscription.  
Shaping a Park
The CCC Boys

Tunnel Log reminds us of the work of young men who struggled to survive the Great Depression in the 1930s. The drive-through hole in the log was carved by the “boys” of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).

The Great Depression left millions unemployed. Congress created the CCC to put young men to work and get paychecks to their families. The CCC worked mostly on public lands, including Sequoia National Park.

Despite youth and inexperience, the CCC boys proved remarkable in developing many features of this park and at thousands of other places across the nation. They built roads, trails, buildings, campgrounds, water systems, and more — much of which is still used today.

When this sequoia fell across the road on December 4, 1937, CCC worker Roy DeVoe of Weldon, California suggested cutting the tunnel. The tree extended 275 feet long, with a base diameter of 21 feet.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 4, 1937.
 
Location. 36° 33.151′ N, 118° 45.684′ W. Marker is in Three Rivers, California, in Tulare County. Marker is on Crescent Meadow Road, 1.7 miles south of Generals Hwy, on the left when traveling south. Located in Sequoia National Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Three Rivers CA 93271, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stephen Tyng Mather (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Call the Cavalry! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buttress Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); Auto Log (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colonel Young: A Buffalo Soldier (approx. half a mile away); The Naturalists (approx. half a mile away); Middle Fork Canyon (approx. 0.7 miles away); For the Good of the Giants (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Three Rivers.
 
Also see . . .  Sequoia National Park. (Submitted on May 14, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Tunnel Log image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 3, 2017
2. Tunnel Log
Fell December 4, 1937
Base Diameter   21 feet
Length   275 feet
Tunnel 8 ft High 17 ft Wide
The Tunnel Log image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 3, 2017
3. The Tunnel Log
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103433

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024