Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Michigan School for the Blind / Administration Building
Michigan School for the Blind
Michigan began educating the blind in 1859 at Flint's Michigan Asylum. In 1879 the legislature established the Michigan School for the Blind, which opened here on September 29, 1880, with 35 students. The next year, five students were its first graduates. At first students learned by lecture / demonstrations, but in 1884-85 the school introduced braille reading and writing. The first deaf / blind student was enrolled in 1887. By the 1950s the school boasted its largest enrollment, three hundred children in kindergarten through grade twelve. Student activities have included music, drama and track. In 1961 and 1963 student wrestlers won class B state championships.
In 1880 the Michigan School for the Blind moved from Flint to this site, the former home of the Michigan Female College and the Institute for Oddfellows. This structure, then called Old Main, has served as the focal point of the 40-acre campus of the Michigan School for the Blind. The monumental, three-story Neo-Classical Revival-style building was designed by Edwyn A. Bowd (1865-1940) of Lansing.
Erected 1986. (Marker Number S0575.)
Location. 42° 44.923′ N, 84° 33.727′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on N. Pine Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 West Willow Avenue, Lansing MI 48906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Presbyterian Church (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Turner-Dodge House (approx. half a mile away); Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Lansing Brenke Fish Ladder (approx. 0.7 miles away); Durant Park / Arch (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rogers-Carrier House (approx. ¾ mile away); John T. Herrmann House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
More about this marker. Marker is also transcribed in Braille.
Additional keywords. Abigail
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
More. Search the internet for Michigan School for the Blind / Administration Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.