Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
First Louisville Slugger Bat
( back )
Hillerich grew the bat business, trademarking “Louisville Slugger” in 1894. Name changed from J.F. Hillerich & Son to Hillerich & Bradsby Co. in 1916. They excelled at bat making and marketing, becoming a worldwide icon. H&B eventually moved to 8th and Main Streets with pro bat factory tours and a baseball.
Kentucky Historical Society · Kentucky Department of Highways
Erected 2016 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2499.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 S 1st Street, Louisville KY 40202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second African Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Birth of Truth In Advertising (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky/Site of Arterburn Brothers Slave Pens (about 400 feet away); Old Forester Distilling Co. (about 400 feet away); Slave Trading In Louisville / Garrison Slave Pen Site (about 500 feet away); The Galt House (about 500 feet away); The Discovery of the Ohio River (about 700 feet away); Clarke & Loomis Architects / Levy Brothers Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Also see . . . Hillerich & Bradsby (Louisville Slugger) on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 19, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.