Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Paul’s Church
Erected by the Rotary Club of Marietta, marking a place in history with service since 1921.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 39° 25.19′ N, 81° 27.174′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Scammel Street, on the right when traveling north on 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta (a few steps from this marker); House of Seven Porches (within shouting distance of this marker); Mound Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 400 C. William O'Neill (about 500 feet away); The Castle (about 700 feet away); The President’s Home of Marietta College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mills House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Regarding St. Paul’s Church. Names of this church through history: German Evangelical Church • St. Paul’s Evangelical Church • St. Paul’s Evangelical and Reformed Church • St. Paul’s United Church of Christ. Today it is again known as Saint Paul’s Evangelical Church.
Also see . . . St. Paul's Evangelical Gathering – History. “What is now St. Paul’s Evangelical Church began as the German Religious Society in 1838, serving new German immigrants arriving in the area in increasing numbers. The Society served people from all the Protestant groups the immigrants had left behind in their homeland. In 1839-40, the congregation was organized and chartered as the German Evangelical Church, and built its sanctuary at the corner of Fifth and Scammel Streets in 1849. That sanctuary has been in use by this congregation to the present time. In 1872, (Submitted on May 20, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the inside of the church • Can you help?