Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky/Site of Arterburn Brothers Slave Pens
Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky
Ky.'s 1792 Constitution continued legalized enslavement of blacks in the new state; 1800 tax lists show 40,000 slaves. U.S. banned African slave trade in 1808 but selling of men, women and children in South continued. By 1830, blacks made up 24% of Ky. population. Kentucky Nonimportation Act of 1833 halted the transfer of blacks for resale.
Presented by Louisville and Jefferson County African American Heritage Committee, Inc.
Site of Arterburn Brothers Slave Pens
After Kentucky's Nonimportation Act repealed in 1849, Louisville slave markets expanded. The Arterburns advertised cash for farm hands and others. Iron-barred coops held people to be shipped south. Chained, they marched up Main Street to board boats in nearby Portland. Some died of shock or disease on the trip south.
Erected 1996 by Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1989.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
Location. 38° 15.258′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second African Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Louisville Slugger Bat (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birth of Truth In Advertising (about 700 feet away); Old Forester Distilling Co. (about 700 feet away); Slave Trading In Louisville / Garrison Slave Pen Site (about 800 feet away); The Galt House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clarke & Loomis Architects / Levy Brothers Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Discovery of the Ohio River (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.