Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Right Reverend John Strachan
Born in Scotland, Strachan came to Kingston in 1799. Ordained in 1803, he became rector of Cornwall and taught at its grammar school until named rector of York in 1812. In 1839 he was made the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. A central figure in the "Family Compact", he was a member of the Executive (1818–36) and the Legislative (1820–41) Councils. He promoted public schooling and, in 1827, secured a charter for King's College of which he became first president. When, in 1849, King's College became the secular University of Toronto, he retired to found, in 1851, the Anglican Trinity College.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
Location. 45° 1.375′ N, 74° 43.714′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. Marker is on Sydney Street, 0.1 kilometers north of Fourth Street East, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 437 Sydney Street, Cornwall ON K6H 3H9, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cornwall Grammar School (here, next to this marker); United Empire Loyalists (approx. half a kilometer away); The Cornwall Orphanage / L'orphelinat de Cornwall (approx. half a kilometer away); War of 1812 (approx. half a kilometer away); New York Cafe / Le Café New York (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Rossmore House / La Maison Rossmore (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Glengarry Fencibles (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - John Strachan. (Submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.