Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tipton in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Davenport House

 
 
Davenport House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
1. Davenport House Marker
Inscription.  In 1834 Henry W. Sisson of New York settled here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the present building was constructed. Known as Lancaster House from 1864 to 1884, the building was later to serve as a general store and post office. As late as 1900 stagecoaches stopped here regularly.
 
Erected 1971 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L123.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 42° 3.773′ N, 84° 7.024′ W. Marker is in Tipton, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is on Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) 0.3 miles west of Breyman Highway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1280 Michigan Avenue, Tipton MI 49287, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured
Davenport House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
2. Davenport House and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Irish Pioneers & Father Gabriel Richards (approx. 2˝ miles away); St. Joseph Shrine (approx. 2˝ miles away); St. Joseph's Church / St. Joseph's Shrine (approx. 2˝ miles away); An Gorta Mor (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named An Gorta Mor (approx. 2.6 miles away); Wisner (approx. 3.7 miles away); St. Michael and All Angels Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Manchester War Memorial (approx. 6˝ miles away).
 
Davenport House image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
3. Davenport House
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
4. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103701

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2021