Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Claiborne County

 
 
Claiborne County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Claiborne County Marker
Inscription.  Established on January 27, 1802, by first General Assembly. Claiborne County was the fourth county organized in the Mississippi Territory. Carved from Jefferson County (formerly Pickering County), of the Old Natchez District, the county was named for William C.C. Claiborne, who served as the second governor of the territory.
 
Erected 2002 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 27, 1802.
 
Location. 31° 57.725′ N, 90° 59.034′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is at the intersection of Market
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street and Old Mill Road, on the right when traveling south on Market Street. Located in front of the Claiborne County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Market Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Claiborne County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Lightfoot Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Port Gibson Boycott (within shouting distance of this marker); Planter's Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Lil Green (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist M.B. Church (about 400 feet away); Commercial Buildings (about 500 feet away); The Bernheimer Complex (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on Claiborne County. (Submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
The Claiborne County Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. The Claiborne County Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103802

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024