Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Hubbs House
The Village of Port Penn
This house was ordered by mail and delivered in pieces by railroad to Delaware City and then brought to Port Penn by wagon. Houses could be ordered from Sears, Roebuck and Company, Montgomery Ward, and other sources. During the growth of mass manufacturing and the mail order business during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, purchasing a home by this method often proved less expensive than using local designers and construction. This house was erected around 1915.
Unlike most dwellings in Port Penn that would be considered typical of the era, the design details of the Hubbs House add to its aesthetic appearance. While working and middle class families were mainly concerned with the cost and function of a house, this home's original owners, the Quillen family, could afford to add details not common on other homes in the village. For example, the second story overhang sometimes called a "Dutch porch," emphasizes the height of the house and is sometimes considered a statement of status or wealth.
Mail Order Houses
Buildings ordered from Sears, Roebuck and Company came as
The Hubbs House as it appeared in the 1920's. The property was purchased by the Division of Parks and Recreation from L. Thelma Quillen Hubbs in 1995.
Erected by The Village of Port Penn. (Marker Number 6.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
Location. 39° 31.047′ N, 75° 34.585′ W. Marker is in Port Penn, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on N. Congress St., 0.1 miles north of Market Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Penn DE 19731, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Porter Darrach House (within shouting distance of this marker); Commodore's House (within shouting The Cleaver House (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Harper Carey Store (about 400 feet away); McMullin House (about 400 feet away); Port Penn Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); W.H. Miller House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Penn.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,678 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.