Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Grand Trunk Depot

 
 
Grand Trunk Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 1, 2017
1. Grand Trunk Depot Marker
Inscription.  
Constructed in 1902, this castle-like building with its square tower was the Lansing station for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad until 1971. For decades passengers streamed through its doors. Here servicemen left and returned from military duty. Children and adults alike associated this depot with the excitement of travel and vacations. This city's joys and sorrows were reflected in this rail station; greetings and good-byes were the most vital ingredients. But gradually rail travel ebbed. Renovated as a restaurant in 1972, the building's exterior remains unchanged. Gerald R. Ford from Michigan, the thirty-eighth president of the United States, dined here during a "whistle-stop" campaign tour on May 15, 1976.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0521.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsRailroads & Streetcars.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #38 Gerald R. Ford, Jr., and the Michigan Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 42° 43.204′ N, 84° 33.143′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from South Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1203 South Washington Avenue, Lansing MI 48910, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. REO Town Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); REO Motor Car Company / REO Clubhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moores Park Pool (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ransom Eli Olds (approx. 0.4 miles away); Malcolm X (approx. 0.4 miles away); I-496 Olds Freeway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Olds Returns to Lansing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michigan Sheriffs' Association (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
Also see . . .  Grand Trunk Depot, from the Lansing City Pulse. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.)
 
Grand Trunk Depot with Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 1, 2017
2. Grand Trunk Depot with Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104014

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024