Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Gulf in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church

1890 - 1957

— Windsor Battlefield Tour —

 
 
Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  During 1890, the priest's house was constructed and the mission received a Christmas gift from the Society at Brussels for "Poor Churches" as one of the most destitute churches of the diocese. This gift probably contained the vestments and altar hangings. In 1871, Father Huber reported to Bishop Elder that the value of the church, lot and house, was approximately $3,500. For the next eight years, the mission was occasionally served by several priests. In late 1870's a school operated at the church. The school created a financial drain on the church treasury, so parents were charged a monthly tuition to meet the cost, an increasing hardship on families in a declining community economy and population. During the 1927 flood, the church was damaged but repaired the following year. By 1933, the population of Rodney had diminished to less than 100. By 1937, only seven communicants remained at Sacred Heart, and services were that year discontinued. In February 1969, the Natchez-Jackson Diocese deeded the property to the Rodney Foundation for the most outstanding of the few remaining examples in Mississippi of carpenter gothic church architecture.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected by the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionDisasters. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1969.
 
Location. 32° 1.835′ N, 91° 3.148′ W. Marker is in Grand Gulf, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Grand Gulf Road and River Road. Located at the Grand Gulf Military Park (Fee charged). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12006 Grand Gulf Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Confederate Memorial Chapel (here, next to this marker); Scotia (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Wheel (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Gulf Military Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Buildup for War (about 300 feet away); War Comes to Grand Gulf (about 300 feet away); Supporting Battery (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Gulf.
 
Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
Marker is middle one of the three.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104105

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024